MyEDU provided a platform for college students to manage their academic journeys, build their first professional profiles and connect with potential employers. The company was acquired by Blackboard in 2014.
MyEdu approached Red Fan with a clear goal: Transition from a reactive media relations strategy to a proactive one to increase the company’s media exposure in Austin and to use its budding reputation as a platform to launch a refreshed brand strategy.
The end objective of Red Fan’s campaign was to help students see MyEdu as the go-to source for managing their individual paths through college and the must-have platform for securing jobs and internships. Through the improved platform, the creation of a blog authored by industry leaders and increased visibility bolstered by succinct messaging and strong relationships with the media, Red Fan strategically positioned MyEdu as an attractive future acquisition target.
- Developed a robust thought leadership campaign that incorporated industry leaders such as Google’s Michael Junge and New York Times bestseller Joseph Michelli.
- Produced engaging video content that appealed directly to students and highlighted the diversity of the MyEdu platform.
- Orchestrated a panel discussion for MyEdu and other academic thought leaders during the annual SXSWedu conference in Austin.
- Released an in-depth report analyzing students’ experiences and choices regarding degree completion, major selection and academic focus.
- Positioned the company for acquisition in January 2014 by Blackboard, which cited MyEdu’s impressive user design and strong following among college students as primary reasons for the acquisition.
Red Fan’s campaign—rooted in solid edtech media relationships and creative user engagement efforts—generated new leads, customers and fresh exposure for MyEdu’s products and services.
Red Fan’s thoughtful communications strategy, extensive media and messaging training, and creative ideas for engaging with students landed MyEdu in outlets such as TechCrunch, Education Week, EdSurge, The Chronicle of Higher Education, the Austin Business Journal, the Texas Tribune and more.
"It has been a pleasure to work with Kathleen during our marketing and public relations initiatives. She played a key role in enhancing our company’s brand recognition in front of world-class companies. Her keen marketing and public relations insights generated new leads and customers for our products and services. She thinks strategically, and has access to journalists, authors, celebrities, and global and local leaders; all of which were essential in positioning our brand in front of the right audience.”
— Andres Traslavina, director of recruiting and institutional development, MyEdu